- CHIEF JOSEPH CAMPGROUND IS CLOSED FOR RECONSTRUCTION.
- Contact the Gardiner District Office at (406) 848-7375 for up to date information.
The Chief Joseph Campground can be found 4 mile east of Cooke City on US 212. The access road not suitable for vehicles longer than 42'.
This campground does not use a reservation system, it is managed on a first-come, first-served basis. Be aware the campground may fill up on weekends & holidays during the summer months and you should arrive in the early afternoon to ensure there is a space available for the night. Contact the Gardiner District Office with questions: 406-848-7375.
- Season or Open Dates – CLOSED FOR THE 2017 SEASON.
- Elevation – 7500 feet
- Fee - $8.00/daily ($3.00 each additional vehicle per site)
- Number and Type of Sites – 6 camping sites
- Fire grates
- Handicapped accessible toilets
- Hand pump water
- Trash Pickup
Generators are allowed.
There is no dump station.
There are no showers or laundry facility.
There is no firewood.
Groceries, a shower facility, and food service are available within 5 miles of the site at Cooke City.
Activities & Attractions
For an easy day trip, take a drive over Beartooth Pass and visit Red Lodge, MT.
Head in the other direction and spend some time in Yellowstone National Park.
Numerous hiking trails are accessible from the site.