- Bear Creek Campground borders the Absoroka-Beartooth Wilderness Area.
- Weather dependent, the campground is open from June 15 to October 31.
- Bear Creek Campground does not use a reservation system; it is managed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- No fee is charged.
If you don’t mind roughing it a little while gaining easy access to some of the most beautiful wilderness area in the west, then check out the primitive camping opportunities at the Bear Creek Campground – just a short drive from Gardiner, MT.
Basing your wilderness adventure here, allows you to take easy day hiking trips into the outback and have daily access to your vehicle if needed.
The Bear Creek Campground is located northeast of Gardiner MT in the West Absoroka Mountains.
Travel 5 mi northeast of Gardiner on Jardine Rd. Continue 5.5 mi northeast on Bear Creek Rd (Forest Rd 493). This access road is not suitable for vehicles longer than 21 feet.
This campground does not use a reservation system; it is managed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Be aware the campground may fill up on weekends & holidays during the summer months and you should arrive in the early afternoon to ensure there is a space available for the night.
- Season or Open Dates - - June 15 - October 31 – depending on the weather
- Elevation – 6200 feet
- Fee – no fee
- Number and Type of Sites – The 4 campsites are dispersed. Trailers are not recommended. This is a pack-in/pack-out campsite with no drinking water, trash service, or firewood provided.
- Vault Toilets
- Generators are not allowed.
- There is no dump station.
- There are no showers or laundry facility and no water.
- Campground is primitive.
Activities and Attractions
- Access to wilderness area
- The north entrance to Yellowstone National Park is approximately 15 miles to the south.