- Yellow Mule Cabin is open year-round and is suitable for 2-3 people.
- The trip to the Cabin can be especially difficult during a storm and should not be attempted.
- Reservations are available by contacting the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
Yellow Mule cabin is located in the remote mountain backcountry of the Madison Range of south-central Montana. It is open year round and is rented in the winter by people snowmobiling up the Buck Ridge Trail. Nearby McAttee Basin provides opportunities for snowmobilers and backcountry skiers.
This small rustic cabin is located 35 miles southwest of Bozeman, MT.
Directions to the Trailhead
- From Bozeman, head west on Main Street until you reach Four Corners.
- Turn left at the stop light and head south on Highway 191.
- Continue five miles past Big Sky to Buck Creek Ridge Road #2599 (aka Doe Creek Road)
- During the winter months, park just beyond the cattle guard. During summer, you can proceed another four miles to the trailhead.
- From the trailhead, the cabin is another 8 miles. (Winter travelers will have a 14-mile trip.)
Following the Trail
- In winter, follow the groomed snowmobile trail up to the ridge, then follow the ridge to the Yellow Mule Cabin sign.
- In the summer months, from the trailhead, follow the trail markers up the ridge and to the cabin sign (follow ATV track to cabin).
- The cabin sits about 300 yards down a draw and is NOT easily visible from the ridge.
- This is a long, but gentle trip until you reach the top of the draw above the cabin.
IF IT IS STORMING and you are not familiar with the terrain, please do not try to go to the cabin. The trip can be difficult in a storm even if you know the route.
Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance. Capacity is 2-3 people. Last minute reservations (up to 3 nights in advance) are available by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
- Season or Open Dates – The cabin was built in 1920 and is open year round.
- Fee - Price is $20 per night and the cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights.
- Capacity – Capacity is 2-3 people
- Cabin Amenities - There is a wood stove for heating and the Forest Service DOES NOT supply firewood. There is no electricity and no running water. There is a vault toilet.
There is a spring behind the cabin. Water should be treated.
Other amenities include broom & dustpan, dishes & tableware, pots & pans, and table & chairs.
Nearby Activities & Attractions
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Viewing