- Windrow Rock Cabin is accessible in the summer via vehicle, but may require skiing, snowmobiling or snowshoeing up to 12 miles in the winter.
- The cabin can easily accommodate 4 people.
- Reservations are available by contacting the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
Window Rock Cabin is a drive to cabin in the summer near Hyalite Reservoir 13 miles south of Bozeman. It was built in 1940 and is open year round. Hyalite Canyon is a beautiful mountainous area with many hiking opportunities.
This rustic cabin can be found 13 miles south of Bozeman, MT (S of Hyalite Reservoir).
- From Main Street in Bozeman, take South 19th Ave for approximately 10 miles until you reach Hyalite Canyon Road (#62).
- Turn left and proceed up the canyon. (How far the road is accessible during the winter months determines how far you may have to ski or snowmobile (up to 12 miles).
- The cabin is located one mile past the south end of Hyalite Reservoir.
- Proceed south of Hyalite Reservoir to the junction of the East Fork and Main Fork of Hyalite Creek roads.
- Continue straight ahead (Main fork of Hyalite) approximately 1/2 mile until you reach the signed and gated access road to the cabin.
Be sure to close the gate after passing though.
- The cabin is approximately 200 yards west of the gate, across Hyalite Creek.
Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance. Last minute reservations (up to 3 nights in advance) are available by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
- Season or Open Dates – The cabin was built in 1940 and is open year round.
- Fee - Price is $30 per night and the cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights.
- Capacity – Capacity is 4 people. Window rock Cabin has four beds with mattresses.
- Cabin Amenities - There is a wood cook stove and the Forest Service supplies the firewood. There is no electricity and no running water. There is a vault toilet.
A corral is available for horses.
The cabin is handicap accessible.
There is a stream near the cabin. Water should be treated.
Other amenities include broom & dustpan, dishes & tableware, pots & pans, and table & chairs.
Nearby Activities & Attractions
Hyalite Canyon is a beautiful mountainous area with many hiking opportunities. Popular activities include hiking to waterfalls, fishing, and ice climbing.
If you need to return to Bozeman for needed supplies or a quick "city fix" it is only a few short miles away.