- Windy Pass Cabin is open June 16th through October 15th.
- Portions of the road to access the cabin during the date are rough and may not be suitable for some low clearance vehicles.
- Capacity for this cabin is 4 people.
- Reservations are available by contacting the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
Windy Pass Cabin is located near the Gallatin Crest at approximately 8900 ft in the Gallatin Mountains south of Bozeman, Montana. It is surrounded by high alpine meadows that fill with wildflowers in July. It is a short walk behind Windy Pass Cabin to the top of the Gallatin Crest where outstanding scenic views can be found.
This rustic cabin can be found 28 mile southwest of Bozeman, MT.
- From Bozeman, head west on Main Street for approximately 6 miles until you reach Four Corners.
- Turn left at the stop light and proceed 30 miles on Highway 191 until you reach the Portal Creek Road #984.
- Follow this rough gravel road up approximately 6 miles to the end at the Windy Pass and Golden Trout Lakes Trailheads.
- Windy Pass Trail #82 is left of the bulletin board. The cabin is 2.5 miles up (1300 foot elevation gain) the Windy Pass Trail #82.
- The cabin is also accessible by longer routes from Big Creek out of the Yellowstone Valley (Trails #180 and #192), the Gallatin Crest Trail from the north and south (#96), and the Moose Creek Trail (#187).
- The Portal Creek Road is gated near Highway 191 from December 2 through June 15th. Motorized vehicles (with the exception of snowmobiles) cannot use the road during these dates.
Note: Portions of the Portal Creek Road (#984) are rough and may not be suitable for some low clearance vehicles.
Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance. Last minute reservations (up to 3 nights in advance) are available by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
- Season or Open Dates – The cabin was built in 1934 and is open June 1st through October 15th.
- Fee - Price is $30 per night and the cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights.
- Capacity – There is a bunk bed downstairs and 2 beds in the loft. Capacity for this cabin is 4 people.
- Cabin Amenities - There is a wood cook stove and the Forest Service DOES NOT supply firewood. There is no electricity and no running water. There is a vault toilet.
A corral is available for horses and there is a horse trail nearby.
There is a spring behind the cabin. Water should be treated.
Other amenities include broom & dustpan, dishes & tableware, pots & pans, and table & chairs.
Nearby Activities & Attractions
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Mountain Biking
- Wildlife Viewing