- Mystic Lake Cabin is open year-round and is in a non-motorized area so travel must be by horse, hike, mountain bike, ski or snowshoe.
- The cabin has mattresses for four people.
- Reservations are available by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
Mystic Lake Cabin is situated near the southeast shore of Mystic Lake in the Gallatin Range approximately 13 miles southeast of Bozeman, Montana. The cabin was built in the summer of 1930 is open year-round and has a corral for horses.
It is 10 miles via the Bozeman Creek Trail, and 5 1/2 miles via New World Gulch Trail. Mystic Lake Cabin is in a non-motorized area. Travel by horse, hike, mountain bike, ski or snowshoe.
Directions to New World Gulch Trailhead
- From Bozeman, go east 4.5 miles on Interstate 90 to the Bear Canyon Exit.
- Then head west for 0.5 miles to Bear Canyon Road.
- Follow Bear Canyon Road for 3.5 miles to the New World Gulch parking area about 0.25 miles before the old Bozeman Ski Lodge. Please make sure to park well off the road.
Following the New World Gulch Trail
- The New World Gulch Trail is approximately 5.5 miles of steep trail to Mystic Lake Ranger Station.
- The trail closely follows the creek bed and climbs to a gate marking National Forest boundary. This part of the trail is steep with even steeper pitches.
- After passing through the gate, the trail breaks away from the creek and meanders through open meadows, then climbs slightly through lodge pole and spruce stands to the fenced and well-marked boundary between New World Gulch and the Bozeman Creek drainage.
- From the divide, the trail drops down to the northeast shoreline to the Mystic Lake Ranger Station and meets the trail to Bozeman Creek.
Directions to the Bozeman Creek Trailhead
- From Bozeman, follow S Third for 4 miles to Nash Road.
- Go east on Nash for 1 mile to Sourdough Canyon Road #979.
- The parking area is 1 mile south on Sourdough Canyon Road.
Following the Bozeman Creek Trail
- The trail follows Bozeman Creek for the first several miles.
- After you have traveled approximately 9 miles, take the trail to the left marked Mystic Lake and proceed 1 more mile to the cabin.
Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance. Last minute reservations (up to 3 nights in advance) are available by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
- Season or Open Dates – The cabin was built in 1930 and is open year-round.
- Fee - Price is $30 per night and the cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights.
- Capacity – Capacity is 4 people. The cabin has mattresses for four people.
- Cabin Amenities - There is a wood cook stove and the Forest Service supplies the firewood. There is no electricity and no running water. There is a vault toilet.
A corral is available for horses. Horses are not allowed within 100 yards of the cabin.
There is a stream near the cabin. Water should be treated.
Other amenities include broom & dustpan, dishes & tableware, pots & pans, and table & chairs.
Nearby Activities & Attractions
In the immediate area, you can enjoy:
- Wildlife Viewing
- Fishing - Mystic Lake contains rainbow, brook, and cutthroat trout.