- In the summer, you can drive right to the Little Bear Cabin, but in the winter, it is a 10-mile snowmobile trip.
- The cabin comfortable sleeps 4 people with a bunk bed downstairs and 2 beds in the loft.
- Reservations are available by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520.
Little Bear Cabin sits atop a grassy knoll on a small ridge near the north end of the Gallatin Range overlooking the Gallatin Valley and the Bridger Range of south-central Montana.
It is possible to drive the Little Bear Road to the cabin in the summer months. In the winter, it is 10 miles via snowmobile.
- From Bozeman, head west on Huffine until you reach intersection of Huffine, Hwy 191, Hwy 84, and Jackrabbit (Four Corners).
- Turn left at the stop light and proceed 8 miles south on Highway 191 until you reach Little Bear Creek Road #980.
- Turn left on to Little Bear Creek Road. Drive up Little Bear Creek Road (The first 2 1/2 miles are paved with the remainder being gravel) 8 miles until you reach the Y road junction with Forest Service Road #3138.
- At the Y go right on #3138 (Wilson Creek Divide Road) and proceed approximately 4 miles until you reach the signed and gated cabin access road called Bear Cabin Road (#6988) on your right.
- The cabin is approximately 300 yards north of the sign.
During the winter, you will need to park off the road at the point where plowing has stopped. (Remember to leave room for the plow to turn around.) This could be up to a 10-mile ski or snowmobile trip.
Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance. Last minute reservations (up to 3 nights in advance) are available by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station (406)522-2520 or on the Recreation.gov website.
- Season or Open Dates – The cabin was built in 1938 and is open year-round.
- Fee - Price is $30 per night and the cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights.
- Capacity – Capacity is 4 people. There is a bunk bed downstairs and 2 beds in the loft.
- Cabin Amenities - There is a wood cook stove and the Forest Service supplies the firewood. There is no electricity and no running water. There is a vault toilet.
Other amenities include broom & dustpan, dishes & tableware, pots & pans, mattresses, and table & chairs.
Nearby Activities & Attractions
In the immediate area, you can enjoy
- Wildlife Viewing