- This Cabin is open year round, but is only accessible by foot, horse, mountain bike, ATV, motorcycle, skis, snowshoes and/or snowmobiles.
- Capacity for this cabin is 4 people and the fee is $35.00 per night.
- You can make reservations by contacting the Forest Service Office 406-222-1892: 5242 Hwy 89 South Livingston, MT.
The one room log cabin, built in 1924, was the original Ranger Station for the Bozeman Ranger District.
Trail Creek Cabin is a rustic, one room log cabin situated on the edge of a small meadow, in the foothills of the Gallatin Mountain Range. The cabin sits on National Forest land, and has sections of private land around it.
Trail Creek Cabin is located 20 miles southwest of Livingston, MT near the northern end of the Gallatin Mountain Range.
There is NO HIGHWAY VEHICLE ACCESS for Trail Creek Cabin users. This cabin is accessible only by foot, horse, mountain bike, ATV, motorcycle, skis, snowshoes or snowmobiles. It is recommended that winter renters carry Topographic Maps & compasses for navigation since the route may be wind blown & difficult to find. Signs may be down due to weather conditions or vandalism.
Trail Creek Cabin can be accessed from two directions:
For foot, ski and horse travel, we recommend beginning at the trailhead on Newman Creek.
- To reach the trailhead, travel south off Interstate 90 (Exit 316) on the Trail Creek road for approximately 7 miles; then west on the Newman Creek road to the trailhead (1 mile).
- The trail to the cabin is 2.2 miles, with the first 1.7 miles crossing private property so please stay on the trail. (Note: For those coming from the south; the Newman Creek road turnoff is 5.5 miles north of the Trail Creek Road/Divide Road junction.)
- During winter months, Newman Creek Road may not be plowed and an additional 1-mile ski might be necessary to reach the cabin.
Snowmobile and ATV travel are accommodated from Goose Creek.
- To reach the Goose Creek Trailhead, travel south off Interstate 90 (Exit 316) on the Trail Creek road for 3 miles; then east on the Goose Creek road for 2 miles to the locked gate. Parking is available at this point.
- The cabin is located 5.2 miles further up the road and accessible only by foot, horse, bike, ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile. Any ATV must be less than 50 inches wide to maneuver through a slot next to the Goose Creek gate.
This cabin is available for reservations January 1st to March 31st and June 1st to December 31st (yearly). Closed April 1st thru May 31st.
You can make reservations up to 3 days in advance by calling or going to the Livingston Ranger District Service Office 406-222-1892: 5242 Hwy 89 South Livingston, MT or by Booking Online.
- Season or Open Dates – This cabin is available to rent from June 1st through March 31st.
- Fee – Price is $35.00 per night and the cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights.
- Capacity - Capacity for this cabin is 4 people.
- Cabin Amenities – This cabin has NO ELECTRICTY OR RUNNING WATER.
There is no drinking water available, so you must bring your own water.
The cabin is supplied with 4 beds & mattresses, wood stove, firewood, table & chairs, propane lantern (please bring a propane canister) axe, shovel, bucket, mop, & broom.
There is an outdoor vault toilet.
A stock corral is available for use; maximum number of stock in the corral is 4.
Nearby Activities & Attractions
There are several multiuse trails in the area good for hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, ATV, and wildlife viewing.
In the winter, you can enjoy snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing.