- Crandall Creek Cabin is open year-round with the exception of April 1st to June 15th.
- Access to the Cabin during the winter can be difficult and will require skiing or snowshoeing a distance of 7 miles.
- Reservations can be made by going to or calling the District Office of the Forest Service. 406-222-1892: 5242 Hwy 89 South, Livingston, Mt
Crandall Creek Cabin is a beautiful, traditionally crafted log structure resting at the foothills of the Crazy Mountains. A majestic view of Target Rock & spectacular star gazing on a clear night are provided from the porch of the cabin.
Both the cabin and adjacent vault toilet are handicapped accessible.
Crandell Creek Cabin is located approximately 24 miles Northeast of Wilsall, (52 miles from Livingston).
- To get to the cabin drive North from Livingston on Highway 89 to Wilsall, Mt.
- Turn Northeast from Highway 89 onto Shields River Road.
- Follow the Shields River Road until the pavement ends, turn right at the end of the pavement, travel approximately 7 miles to a fork in the road, and take the left fork towards the Shields River Camp (approximately 2 miles to the Camp).
- About 100 yards beyond the campground take a left onto a gated Road.
- The cabin is located 200 yards down this road.
December 2nd through March 31st The last (approximate) seven miles of the access road to Crandall Creek Cabin is not plowed in the winter. Plan to ski, snowshoe or snowmobile ride the seven mile distance from the end of the plowed road to the cabin. It is recommended that winter renters carry topographic maps & compasses for navigation since the route maybe wind blown & difficult to find. Signs may be down due to weather conditions or vandalism.
Reservations can be made 6 months in advance. Reservations (up to 3 nights in advance) are available by calling or going to the District Office of the Forest Service. 406-222-1892: 5242 Hwy 89 South, Livingston, Mt
- Season or Open Dates - This cabin is available for reservations January 1st thru March 31st and June 16th thru December 31st yearly.
Bennett Creek Cabin is closed April 1st to June 15th each year.
- Fee - Price is $35.00 per night. This cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights.
- Capacity - The cabin sleeps 6 people in 3 bunkbeds that are equipped with mattresses, no bedding is provided, so you must take your own.
- Cabin Amenities - Inside the cabin, a table with benches & a wood stove for heat & a propane lantern are provided. You will need to bring a propane canister for the lantern.
No liquid fueled (white gas) stoves or lanterns are allowed in the cabin or on the porch. A propane stove for cooking is suggested & can be used on a cooking counter in the cabin.
Additional items include broom & dust pan, mop & bucket, fire ring, and firewood, axe, & maul.
There is no running water, please remember to bring water or plan to treat the water from the nearby stream.
Nearby Activities & Attractions
Within ten miles of the cabin you can enjoy mountain biking, wildlife viewing and snowshoeing.